Sunday, February 27, 2011

This has been the beautiful view out our living room window for the past 2 Sundays! Our apartment stays warm and my boots & coat work well - so we don't mind the snow at all! Welcome to my living room! The heater for the entire apt. is on the back wall below the window. We turn it on in the morning and off whenever we leave the apt. Front right is a piano, I practice my simplified hymns for church in the Saburtalo branch (the other branch has a great pianist!) Front left is the dining room table. Left is a lovely china cabinet that has the owners things in the top cupboards! By the window is a door that goes out to a balcony where I can hang the laundry in the summer. The floors are all wood, so there are lots of rugs in the apt.
Elders Reese and Southwick are busy in the kitchen. There is a new stove, but sadly, the microwave oven died just before we came. I am seriously considering buying a new one!




Our shower and laundry room are combined with a utility sink. Notice the water heater is in the shower - no waiting for hot water here! Across from the shower is a small washer. We will be doing laundry at least 3 times a week.




The bathroom is a separate room. It does not have hot water but everything else works well!




Here's our bedroom - a queen size bed & soft pillows - YEAH!!! We do have a lot of blankets on the bed because it gets cold at night. We do not have a dryer, so I am hanging my laundry on a rack in the room. If no one is home I can take the rack into the living room next to the heater where it will dry faster. (learning experience - hung underwear too close to heater - it melted holes in it!!!)








We really enjoy traveling on the metro. It only costs 50 tetri (30 cents) and you can go all over T'bilisi. This is a picture of Elder Reese & I sitting on the metro with appropriate facial expressions!
Sister Southwick is sitting across from us!






Sister Southwick was sitting across from us.



One of our first adventures with a humanitarian project was a trip to Mtskheta - the old capital of Georgia. We took the metro to a stop where we met Mzia, our interpreter, and a man who wanted us to see a rehabilitation center that needed some help. As we were driving back to the metro, we went by this statue.
















This was the inscription at the base of the statue!

2 comments:

  1. The snow looks beautiful!! I am glad all your winter clothing is working. What a pretty apartment. It looks like a lot of it is my colors! I could be very happy there!! But it really does look like a nice place to stay for the next year! No microwave or dryer, bummer. I am sure a lot of your clothes have to be air dried any ways, right? I will keep the underware story in mind, next time I am drying them by the fire!! It could happen, if the power goes out. Riding the subway looks like fun and it looks like you have the "look" down. Don't want to look too happy on a subway. Glad to see everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! I am glad to see that you have such an attractive apartment. I know that you can adapt to the things that are different--like the laundry being in the same room as the shower. It is funny that in recent years American builders have begun to put the toilet in a separate room as a type of luxury, when the Europeans have always had it that way (the W.C or water closet) and many Americans thought it was so strange when they first saw it. Flo

    ReplyDelete