Sunday, August 28, 2011

A FUN P-DAY STORY
The Missionaries thought it would be fun to go to the Jvari Monestary on their P-day. They were going to hike up the hill - so I decided I would stay home because I have been there several times and I did not want to slow them down on their hike. They convinced me to go - I should have stayed home! We all climbed into the Marshutka for the 20 minute drive to Mskheta. We were having fun when E. Reese realized we had passed the bridge that went to the Monestary. He told the missonaries, who asked the other people on the marshutka and we had the van pull over and drop us off on the side of the road. We walked along the road about a mile back to the bridge. We hiked up the side of the bridge. Here is the view - the monestary is that small outcropping on the hill in the middle of the picture. We walked over the bridge, down the other side and then decided to follow the cow trails up and around the hills. It was an adventure. Luckily the missionaries were good sports about waiting for Sis. Reese!


WE MADE IT!!! My pants from my knees down were covered with burrs!


The view was spectacular!


We were so happy - some of us jumped for joy! It's ok - they are allowed to have fun on their P-day!


Then came the debate about going back. The taxi driver there wanted way to many Lari and he couldn't fit us all in. The road back down was long and winding and we didn't have a lot of time to get home. So we took a path that headed straight down the front of the mountain to the road. Oh my - I'm still alive - but it was a little scary!



I was so happy to make it to the freeway! We waited maybe 10 minutes before a marshutka stopped and we all crowded in.


Yes - there are a bunch of missionaries stacked in there somewhere! It really was a memorable outing!





1 comment:

  1. What a grand adventure! I can't believe you hiked from that point in the second picture all the way to the buildings in that picture-WOW! I wish you had been using a GPS of some kind to see how many miles you hiked and what elevation. The picture of the 2 Elders in the air is a great shot! I also love the picture of the two of you together (and seeing the burs on Mom's pants in that pic!). I'm glad you put the pic of the marshutka-even though it looks just like you have described them, it is fun to see it. Does no one mind when someone stinky (as I assume you guys were) comes and squeezes next to them?

    ReplyDelete