Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sites of our Neighborhood in Tbilisi

One day I decided to take a walk and see some of the neighborhood. I saw lots of interesting sights. I was mad that I hadn't brought the camera. So I planned another day and this time took the camers and tried to get pictues that would give you a little idea of what it is like here where we live.

This is just a couple of blocks down our street. It was a quite surprise to see the sign the first time. They have a few items of outer ware and only a very few items of camping gear, like half dozen backpacks, some bike items and a selection of fishing gear. I lost my fleece coat liner and was able to find a replacement there.






The rich and the poor. With over 70% unemployment most people live in what are called "Corpses" (You won't find that word in the dictionary or even Google) a name given to the Soviet built apartment buildings. Contrast that with the homes on the bluff. No middle class, just the very poor and the wealthy. Below the mansions is an abandoned horse race track where they were playing rugby and cricket.























I loved the contrast of the more modern home in the background and the older one in the front. Notice how many different building materials are being used, showing how many times it has been "fixed", concrete, brick, wood, adobe type block. They mix their morter with sand full of dirt so the morter doesn't last long.









I loved this door and steps. You see this alot, a building falling apart with these fancy old doors.
























They used to have venders all over the sidewalks and streets. About two years ago they passed a law that everyone had to be inside the buildings. This one is spilling into the sidewalk. Enforcement of the law is weak. The food is fresh and good.










This shows a typical "shopping" area. The corpus lower floor apartments were changed into small stores. Every street has a least one dentist, usually more. At least two drug stores and a bank.










Need some hardware items? This is the only hardware "store" I've seen so far. There is quite an assortment of items and parts. But usually only one or two of each kind of item.












Need to make a call? Have an emergency? No public phones. Everyone has a cell phone. A lot of the apartments have a phone. The phone and the number stays with the apartment.










I loved these little narrow walkways and stairs in between some parts of town. Like a labyrinth. I would just start in one and see where they would go. Sometimes I found great shortcuts.





















The older men (And sometimes middle age) are always found playing backgammon or dominoes. They play for money and fun. Notice the score keeper? Yep that's an abacus. I see them used everywhere. Even the Post Office I go to uses it.
Who needs a calculator.












I think at one time the city must have been very interesting and had great beauty. I've seen lots of these fancy doorways and canopys. I believe they date back to before the Soviet Union time. Someone told me that Georgians loved to copy the fancy architecture of places like Europe, especially France.













Georgia is know for their balconies. (We have three!) In the summer they love to hang out in them and enjoy the city life. This one looked like something from a movie set.














2 comments:

  1. Ditto to Marcy's comment. You have given us glimpse of the atmosphere of Tiblisi and Eastern Europe. I especially like the picture of the bacony and the carved iron doorway and canopy. It makes me think of "Fiddler on the Roof" and "Dr.Zhivago".
    Flo

    ReplyDelete